In Utero 20th Anniversary-What We Want to See
What with Paul McCartney frontman-ing a reunion of Krist Novoselic and Dave Grohl, and the late Kurt Cobain’s 45th Birthday just gone, I’ve been in a pretty Nirvana-y mood. While listening through their old albums, I think that it must be almost time for realised the 20th birthday of In Utero, Nirvana’s third and final real studio album. I’m guessing that In Utero, like Bleach and Nevermind before it, will be given a celebratory 20th anniversary re-release, which will hopefully contain more then just extra tracks. While giving it a listen, I thought up a list of stuff I’d like to see turn up on a re-release in September:
- Obviously, all 12 (13 if you include the improvised hidden track at the end of ‘All Apologies’) tracks from the original album, remastered. And not the shitty remastering done on the previous two, but PROPERLY done, not just about squeezing as much noise as possible out of the songs but getting a crisp, clean, modern sound, while not altering the glorious grunge-y mess the songs were originally.
- The B-Sides from the album, including Marigold and MV
- The infamous Albini mix that failed to make it onto the album.
- The Unplugged versions of ‘All Apologies’, ‘Dumb’ and ‘Pennyroyal Tea’
- All the music videos
- A DVD containing the MTV In Utero concert
- A poster (I’d like 60 x 90) of the album cover (Definitely not a T-Shirt or anything naff like that)
If a re-release looked anything like that, that would certainly be enough to justify a fan buying it, even if they owned the original. What would you like to see on the 20th?